Onewheel+ and V1 owners just got a whole lot less range-anxious.
The original EGO battery extender is still the best!
Installation instructions are available in .pdf format.
That's because with the new Ranger™ Locking Battery Mount and Cable kit from Land-Surf.com, you can use commonly available, ultra-reliable, and relatively safe EGO® brand power tool batteries to now supplement the battery in your Onewheel+. These batteries, along with the EGO rapid charger, will open up a world of new locations you can now reach on your board. This upgrade works on V1 and Plus models only...XR is not supported.
With a 2.5AH EGO battery, you double the range you get from the internal battery on the Onewheel+. It weighs 3lbs.
With a 5AH EGO battery, you triple the range you get from the internal battery on the Onewheel+. It weighs 5lbs.
If you put a 7.5AH EGO battery on this mount in a backpack and run the cable down to your Onewheel+ (as is done on a CnR setup), you can potentially get 4x your normal range. Weight is around 6.5 lbs.
The reason this whole thing works is that we are simply increasing the capacity of our Onewheel+ battery, because the voltages between it and the EGO battery are very close when full charged and discharged. A 2.5AH EGO battery simply doubles the amount of Amp-Hours your board can access. The Onewheel+ knows no difference in operation. It rides strong all the way up to the final Captain Morgan empty battery orientation....that's when you know to stop.
You cannot use any other battery with this system. Please do not try. The EGO batteries are the safest and most proven technology, and include over temp and over charge features to prevent major issues. The voltage matches almost exactly with the internal battery on the Onewheel+. The company that makes EGO products spent 10 years developing these products, which include their awesome batteries. It's extremely well made, has a strong protective plastic and rubber to prevent damage, and is widely available. And it comes with a 3-year warranty. No other battery setup for your OW is as reliable. You may already own some of the tools...we do, and they are incredible.
Can I see the installation instructions?
Sure, download them here.
What happens in the app?
Interestingly, the app will show the depletion of the main battery as usual...except that when it gets to 1% it stays there - yet your board can travel twice as far. This is presumably because the app is getting battery charge state from a calculation or in some feature from the internal BMS – and the board thinks it still has only 2.5AH total in "the tank". (Note that the amp-hours (AH) for the Onewheel+ and V1 is 2.5AH.)
Whatever the reason, the % battery left was never very accurate anyway, even without adding on an external battery. The distance traveled, speedometer, etc. still all work as normal. Your "usage" metric will show far above 100% however, an this is what you want to pay attention to.
When using the 2.5AH battery, 100% usage in the app means you have used only 1/2 of your range (since the board thinks 100% is the internal battery only). So at the end of your ride, you'll see 200% under the usage metric if you ride until pushback. ( 2.5AH internal OW battery + 2.5AH Ego Battery)
The 5AH batttery will show 300%, since it adds 2x the internal capacity of the Onewheel (so the 300% corresponds to three times the range the OW thinks it should get on the internal battery alone).
By extrapolation then, the 7.5AH battery will show 400% usage in-app at the end.
What about regen?
Regen appears to work as normal. No difference in operation thus far.
When the first EGO battery is depleted, can I throw on another battery even though the Onewheel+ battery is also depleted?
We've tried this and it does work, however, when you attach the fully charged EGO to the mount, a large power rush occurs to the internal battery, starting off at around 17-18 amps, and tapering off to less than 3 after a few minutes. (The higher-charged battery attempts to charge the lower voltage battery.)
The A123 batteries in the Onewheel V1 and + can be charged safely at a continuous 10 amps. When plugging in a fresh EGO battery, it's best to ride immediately after attaching to mitigate the amp flow to the Onewheel battery. After 15 or so seconds, the amps will drop to under 10. That said, "swap 'n ride" is viable and works, but isn't as good for the internal battery as starting with both fully charged. However, if you don't mind a few less charge cycles on your OW battery (which should take 1500 or more easily), then swap and ride!
Does this help mitigate nosedives?
It does, in the same way that the XR has more power available because of the larger battery capacity, this kit helps with "voltage sag" if the motor draws too much power for the internal battery alone. Because the EGO and the internal battery share the load (each battery is now working 1/2 as hard as the original), power is more readily available and voltage sag is reduced considerably. And the end result is more power for the motor, which can help prevent nose dive events caused by voltage sag. More hill climbing power, and faster speeds without fear of nosediving.
Why do this instead of CnR or PnR (plug and ride)?
CnR / PnR works well in some situations – however there are several downsides:
- Usually you need to wear a backpack full of heavy batteries. A cable connects you to the board while riding, which is a safety hazard.
- Regen warnings must be heeded...going downhill can overcharge the battery, resulting in shutdown. Starting out at 100% charge is a problem.
- Regen is slower to deliver power, and less efficient.
- Regen does not help mitigate nose dives or provide more power to the motor, as the Ranger does.
- Depending on your CnR setup, you may need to ride more slowly in order for regen to occur ( < 12mph). We like to ride without speed restrictions!
- CnR requires a charge controller to keep voltage constant, and the more the voltage of the CNR battery differs from the internal Onewheel battery, the more heat is generated due to excess amps. Amps cause heat. It's better to have high voltage and fewer amps for this reason.
What are the advantages of the Ranger™ method?
- No cables connecting you to the board.
- No backpack to wear with hot batteries in it...the battery is on the board. When mounted low, the 3 lbs extra of the EGO 2.5AH battery is not noticeable and does not impede riding or carving.
- No worries about starting off with 100% charge. No bulky MPPT charge controller to break or go haywire, or just "stop working" for no reason.
- Ride your full speed the entire time - there is no "charging" while riding - you've simply increased your battery capacity. No need to ride slowly so that regen charge can occur...just ride!
- Very simple installation that does not use any XLR plugs, and maintains the ability to go back to stock setup at any time. Average install time is an hour or less. Keep your XLR charging port intact and undamaged.
- Swap batteries quickly and easily with a slide-on friction mount.
- High quality, 12-gauge wire and quality connectors rated at 60 amps or higher. This is the same gauge wire as the main battery, and same connectors. No cheap wiring or connectors here.
- No cutting of any wires in your battery compartment. Simply unplug one connector, put ours in, and reconnect. Then just run the cable (a pigtail XT60 connector) out a small hole that you drill in the plastic wall of the battery compartment.
- Double amp hours capacity = more power for the motor. Less nosedives.
- Throw on a fresh EGO battery and continue to ride when the OW is empty.
- EGO batteries come with their own warranty...which is likely more reliable than an individual building questionable-qualtiy battery packs. Quality control on the Ego batteries and after sales support is far superior to some amateur builder assembling a high power battery pack!
- Clean and dead-sexy mount design (ahem!)
Anything else we should know?
As part of the "Open Range" program that this product enables, we are not only making it ourselves, but we also are offering the slightly older version of the .stl file (the mount model, sans locking feature) on thingiverse.com, as well as templates and instructions for how to make your own: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2949738
This is our gift to the Onewheel community. If you have a 3d printer and can solder like a champ, you can make your own. You can also purchase just the laser cut terminals if making your own. Contact us for details on that.
NOTE: WE DO NOT SELL THE EGO batteries or the rapid charger. You need to buy these on your own from Amazon, eBay, or Home Depot. If you buy your battery from an authorized reseller you will get the warranty for the battery. Buying on eBay does not usually come with a warranty.
Included in the Ranger™ kit:
Ranger Kits and made on demand, and take 9-10 hours to print each unit, and thus orders for Ranger kits have a one-week lead time. It may ship faster, but allow a week from the day of your order.
- Urethane 3d-Printed Battery Mount with protective terminals cap. An indestructible rubber-type mount that will never break.
Laser cut, stainless steel terminals. The best interface to squeeze every last drop of power from the EGO batteries efficiently.
Stainless Steel mounting screws and special aluminum low-profile nuts. No rust or corrosion even in wet environments.
- High quality parallel cable and thick, 12 gauge wiring for connecting up the Ranger. This is the same thickness of wire used inside of the Onewheel.
- Silicone cap for XT60 connector.
- Fully illustrated instructions with photos at each step.
- Peace of mind knowing you can go 2x to 3x your normal range!
This simple install takes about 30-45 minutes or less, depending on how handy you are. You will need to remove your battery from the Onewheel and open it's case, which will void your warranty, if any is left.
Because this is a kit assembled and finished by you, the buyer, there is no warranty implied or offered for the Ranger kit.
Do not purchase this product if you aren't comfortable with common garage tools like power drills, or if you have any warranty left!
YOU MUST BE 18 YEARS OR OLDER TO PURCHASE THE RANGER™ KIT. PURCHASE BY A MINOR IS NOT ALLOWED FOR ANY REASON.
NOTE: INSTALLING THIS KIT WILL VOID YOUR ONEWHEEL WARRANTY (AT LEAST FOR THE BATTERY COMPARTMENT).